Slab vs Prehung
What is a Prehung Door?
Two choices are given to you when you decide to order an exterior door: slab or prehung. There are significant differences between the two, which is why you should learn what each one is before ordering your new entry door.
What are slab doors?
A slab exterior door is a piece of wood. A slab does not have hardware or hinges. They often do not have a cutout for the hardware or hinges. These doors can be used as an interior or exterior doors. Most are paneled or flat. They are more challenging to install.
When should you get Prehung Doors?
Several reasons exist for having a prehung entry door:
- If you do not have an existing exterior door frame
- If the current entry door frame is warped or damaged where you cannot replace the door with a slab
- If you install an exterior door. Prehung doors are weather tight and easier to fit, although hiring a professional is still a good choice for the best fit.
- If you are remodeling or building a new home prehung doors are the most logical choice due to installation and rough opening.
What are prehung doors?
A prehung exterior door has a frame and is hanging by its hinges when you purchase it. You obtain the entire package including the hardware you need to install the door. There are a few main parts to this type of entry door: jambs, hinges, sill, door shoe, and weather stripping. We ship all of our prehung units knocked down and the frame requires reassembly on the site.
The following are standard for prehung doors:
- Wood Frame
- Mahogany jambs (size range: 4-9/16”, 6-5/8”, 5-1/4” and custom options)
- Hinges usually 4”x4” ball bearing. Commercial grade in zinc, bronze, or brass. (80” doors have 3 hinges, while 96” have 4 hinges)
- Adjustable threshold made of aluminum. The door sill can also be oak, bronze, brass, or zinc.
- Door sweep (door shoe) of bronze, zinc, or brass. Shoe weatherproofing also available.
- Interior casing is 2 ½” colonial style unless specified differently
- Q-Ion in white or bronze weather stripping
- 2 ¼” brick mold for the exterior, unless specified differently
- The handle is pre-drilled for the deadbolt and handle